Thursday, October 24, 2013

beverly center


Maryam Alsaqran
Jeff klepper
English 113B
October 23RD 2013
Beverly Center
The Beverly center is a huge and famous shopping center that located in California, Los Angeles. This shopping center include a bunch of shops some are luxury such as, Bloomingdales and some are normal as mayc’s. Moreover, some restaurants and different cuisines are in the Beverly center. I choose to write about this place because when I first came to California the Beverly center was the first mall I visit and since that time I didn’t like it because of it design and it facilities’ distribution.
            First of all, the outer look is a set of stories for parking and on the top of them is a huge piece of block, which is boring. When I first look at the building I thought that it was a building for parking not a shopping mall. I usually imagine the upper part of the building as a coffin, dark, solid, and plain box that used to bury dead people; in other words, a shape that is not suitable to represent a famous shopping center in Los Angles, the state of fashion. I feel its is a stuffy place because there is no windows in the whole building. According to the article Windows the author Daniel Lemmens says, “ A window is meant to look through. To observe.”(Lemmens 1); and the only place has a glass in this building is the stairs that takes the visitors from the parking into the mall. However, there is no space visible through that glass the wall inside that place is too close to the glass; so it is stuffy as well. Furthermore, there is no main entrance to the mall; people need to have a car to park it in the parking then to go into the mall from the doors and the stairs from the parking area, so how if someone wants to walk to this mall?  The main doors outside are to the restaurants, which makes the mall seems as a mall for restaurants only.
Moving on to the facilities such as the restaurants in this mall, I didn’t find that the restaurants are organized in there. Each restaurant is far away from any other restaurant, which makes people face confusion to choose where to eat because they are not seeing the entire restaurant in one place to find what they are craving. And again, the inside of the mall is stuffy because there are no windows.
James Howard Kunstler said about the public spaces in a ted video named The ghastly tragedy of the suburbs, that “people just go there voluntarily because they just like them” also he said “people just go because its pleasure to be there” ( Kunstler) so the public spaces sould be pleased on eyes.  Therefore, I would like to recreate the outer design and make it more pleased to the eyes. First of all, I would move the parking area to the basement and make the mall is on the ground floor; because by that’s way the mall is going to be obvious more, than the parking and it would seems as a mall in stead of a parking building. Furthermore, I would put a huge glass door to be the main entrance in the middle of the front of the mall to make it easier to the pedestrian to get into the mall. Also, I would provide elevator instead of the stairs to the people to get into the mall from the new parking area; because I fount the elevators are more suitable to take people from basements to ground than the stairs.
In addition, I would make it a glass building, what I meat is that I want to make the building is full of windows some of them are openable and some are not. So then visitors can get benefit from the sunlight while they are shopping and also to have an airy and breezy space. As well as, the glass would make the building modern and new contrary how it is now. And finally, I would keep the restaurants in one place to represent the dining area; and add some other fast food restaurants such as MacDonald’s. 
Works Cited

Kunstler, James H. "James Howard Kunstler: The Ghastly Tragedy of the Suburbs."        TED: Ideas worth Spreading. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2013.

Lemmens, Daniel. "Windows." Urologic Nursing, 22.3 (2002): 147.


morning
after noon

night   

before     















No comments:

Post a Comment